Wednesday, June 26, 2013

“I’m So Glad I’m a Part of the Family of God”

Recently I was able to spend some time with my parents in Florida and we were reminiscing about the beautiful congregation we were able to pioneer and shepherd in the ‘70s and ‘80s. (Yes, we’re old enough to reminisce.) When we were a young congregation we used to end every gathering by joining hands in a big circle and singing the old Bill Gaither tune, “I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God.” And we really were a family, and we really were glad. So many of us were permanently marked (in a very good way) by our experience of life together as the family of God.

And it wasn’t just a matter of sentimentality; the Bible refers to the local church as a family or household. Jesus referred to his followers as members of his “household” (Matthew 10:25). Jesus was appointing certain leaders who were responsible for “the servants in his household” (Matthew 24:45). In John 8:34-36 Jesus refers to himself as “the Son” in God’s family. Many of the early congregations were centered around believing families/households:
·         The household of Lydia (Acts 16:14-16)
·         The household of Justus & Crispus (Acts 18:7-8)
·         The household of Stephanas (1 Corinthians 16:15)
·         The household of Apphia & Archippus (Philemon 1:2)
Paul encourages us to “do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers” (Galatians 6:10). He rejoices in the fact that we “are no longer foreigners or strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household” (Ephesians 2:19). He commended the Thessalonian congregation for loving “all of God’s family throughout Macedonia” (1 Thessalonians 4:10). Paul also instructed Timothy on how he ought to conduct himself “in God’s household” (1 Timothy 3:15). Jesus is not ashamed to call the members of his family “brothers and sisters” (Hebrews 2:11). Peter exhorted believers to “love the family of believers” (1 Peter 2:17; see also 4:17 & 5:9).

It’s clear that from God’s perspective, the local church is a family. And as the old saying goes, “you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your relatives.” Family is family! We are not members of a club – we are brothers and sisters. But as you well know, there are a lot of dysfunctional families these days. Thinking about your family (or families you might know) and God’s family, have you ever heard family members say something like this?

I’ve been disappointed (or hurt) in a family so I’ve decided to not be in a family. The big problem with all families is that there are human beings in them, and if you hang around a human long enough, they will inevitably do and/or say something stupid. And you will be disappointed (or hurt). However, our commitment to family is based on the simple fact that family is family, and you can’t choose to not be in a family.

I’ve not spoken to my (mother/sister/father/brother) for years. When someone fails to meet the expectation of another family member, some just cut them off. Just leave. I’m not speaking to them again. I will pretend they are not part of the family. They’re dead to me. Really?!! Other than a little problem called “hatred,” this kind of response is unrealistic. To ignore family is to live in a fantasy land.

I’m not participating in any more family meals because I’m not being fed any more – in fact, I may not come back and eat ever again. Parents (and pastors) are especially fond of this one. Mom worked hard and put a healthy meal on the table – you just refused to eat it. And don’t you have some level of responsibility to participate in the provision of healthy meals, and to even occasionally feed yourself?

I’m not comfortable here any more – I’m taking a break from this family (and may not come back). I don’t know about you but I’ve never thought that the purpose of my family was to provide me consistent comfort. In fact, sometimes family is very uncomfortable. However, being uncomfortable could be a growth opportunity for me. Feeling uncomfortable and bailing may just be a sign of my immaturity.

I’m not going to help pay any of the bills this week because I mowed the lawn (or did the dishes, or some other volunteer act of service) last week. To be realistic, families have practical needs that have to be systematically and consistently met, and it takes all the member of the household to adequately meet those needs. As members of our family we can’t just assume that some other family member will take care of it and then assume a passive attitude toward those needs.


Family can be irritating. Family can be disappointing. Family will never meet all of our needs. But we need family; in fact, we simply are family. Our commitment to our brothers and sisters is on a much higher level than our commitment to neighbors or co-workers. Family is God’s gift to us. All of us have a variety of “family” relationships, covenant relationships that form a vitally important bond and foundation for the rest of our lives. While I can’t choose my family I can repeatedly renew my commitment to my family, and try to make a positive contribution to everything my family needs and does. I don’t know about you, but I’m so glad I’m a part of my family – my Asplund family and my NCC family. They are God’s gift to me, and they fill my life with joy and challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment