Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Servant or Slave?


For a long time, I have happily thought of myself as “a servant of the Lord.” It is a true and important part of my identity as an apprentice of Jesus. In fact, every day my prayer is, “Lord make me a servant, make me a blessing today.”

I used to love singing one of my favorite old Vineyard choruses:

Make me a servant
humble and meek
Lord, help me lift up
those who are weak
And may the song of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

But lately I have become aware that the personal identity of a “servant” still leaves plenty of room for ego. I have always taught that in the ancient world, the significance and importance of a person was based on whose servant they were. If you were a servant of the Emperor, you were a very important person indeed. For that reason, if you are a servant of the Most High God, well…there is no more higher calling or identity.

But, no matter how you rationalize it, whenever there is room for human ego, whenever there is room for personal rights, it will always end badly. Being a servant leaves plenty of room for me to decide how I am going to serve. Being one of the servants in the King’s “palace” allows for occasionally jockeying for position. There is still is a need for attention, respect, and a feeling of importance. I may feel religiously satisfied by thinking of myself as God’s servant, but “ego” is “ego,” and “self” is “self.” As a servant, I maintain significant rights to decide when, where and how I will serve.

And so, I have gone back to Scripture to notice how those first-generation Jesus followers identified themselves. Frankly, I have noticed it before, but always just kind of looked around it, not thinking that it meant what it appeared to mean.

"I, Paul, am a devoted slave of Jesus Christ" (Romans 1:1 MSG).

"Paul and Timothy, slaves of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:1 TLB). 

"Paul, the slave of God and the messenger of Jesus Christ" (Titus 1:1 TLB).

"I, James, am a slave of God and the Master Jesus" (James 1:1 MSG).

I've always recognized that the early followers of Jesus identified themselves as "slaves" (Greek doulos), but I've never paused to consider the difference between "servants" and "slaves" in the text, especially since "slave" is often used negatively. Frankly, I just don't like the idea of anyone being a slave.

My resistance could be because of our unique American experience of slavery. The American institution of slavery was unique in history because it was defined in a combination of three unique ways: (1) slaves were defined by their race, (2) slaves were slaves for life, and their offspring were automatically slaves, and (3) slaves were considered chattel and a financial asset, and therefore, sub-human. Because we still live with the scars of slavery in our society, I would really rather not think of myself or anyone else as a slave.


But slavery looked very different in ancient times. Slaves were usually indentured servants, serving gratis for a temporary period of time under contract, free to go at the end of that time. In the Old Testament, an Israelite who became a slave due to extreme poverty would have had no means of support had not a more wealthy family brought them into their family to serve them, and after seven years, or no later than the Year of Jubilee, were set free with enough provisions to have a fresh start. (A slave could be redeemed at any time by a Kinsman Redeemer, or if he gained the means, he was able to redeem himself.) Slaves were to be treated as members of the household and their rights were protected by law. (See Exodus 21:2-3; Leviticus 25:39-41; Deuteronomy 23:15). (Non-Israelite slaves had fewer rights.)

The Old Testament example of a slave that is most relevant to the New Testament is the law in Exodus 21:5-6: "But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,’ then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently" (NAS). Here is presented the unusual case of a slave who chooses to not be free, who chooses to remain a subservient member of the master's household. This slave has also decided to remain with his family rather than pursue his own freedom. 

There is no question that doulos is used in important positive ways in the New Testament:

"A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master" (Matthew 10:24-25)

"It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:26-28).

"When the time came, he set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave" (Philippians 2:7 MSG).

"As the Lord’s slave, you shouldn’t exhaust yourself in bickering; instead, be gentle—no matter who you are dealing with—ready and able to teach, tolerant without resentment, gently instructing those who stand up against you" (2 Timothy 2:24-25 VOICE).

"For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil. Respect everyone, and love the family of believers. Fear God, and respect the king" (1 Peter 2:16-17 TLB).

A servant has a choice to accept or reject an assignment. A servant can choose whom to serve. A servant can stop serving if they so desire. A servant can choose to give up, or not give up, certain personal rights. 

The single most important characteristic of a slave is simple obedience. A slave, by definition, permanently belongs to a single Master. A slave has no personal rights. It is enough for a slave to stay close to the Master, to remain attentive and responsive to the desires of the Master. The reward for a slave is not effective, productive service but simply to be with the Master. 

While it may seem like a fairly minor difference, it strikes me to be important in my commitment to becoming more like Jesus. After all, Jesus was the model slave. If Jesus took on the status of a slave, doing so should not be beneath me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment