Monday, March 13, 2017

"Be Perfect"

I must confess to being a bit of a perfectionist. It's not so much that I expect to be perfect or to do everything perfectly, nor do I expect that of anyone else. It's more a matter of being a hyper-responsible firstborn son in a large, very religious family. In fact, I'm so hyper-responsible I can't tolerate a job not being done due to neglect or laziness. If I see someone else "dropping the ball," I find myself diving onto the floor to catch the ball. It's a blessing and a curse.

But I am very sensitive to exhortations to perfection. For that reason, the last verse in Matthew 5 has always produced a floor-diving response. "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." It's bad enough that I am commanded to be perfect. The bar is raised to an infinitely high level when I'm commanded to be perfect on a God-level, as my Father in heaven is perfect. 


It's so obviously impossible, most Bible readers either say, "I have not idea what that means," or "maybe when I get to heaven, or they just quickly read on to chapter 6. 

I've heard any number of attempts to get around the language of this verse. Most point out that the word for "perfect" is teleios, meaning whole, complete or mature. While "mature" seems an easier reach than "perfect," we're still left with the command to be mature in the same way as as the Father in heaven is mature.

But then I discovered that there is a parallel passage in Luke's Gospel. As if often true, a parallel passage in the Bible can shed additional light on the context and meaning of that passage. In Luke 6, we hear Jesus once again saying to "love your enemies" with specific examples of what that might look like. We are clearly in the same context as Matthew 5, but in Luke, Jesus summarizes his teaching with a different expression. "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful" (verse 36). Instead of "perfect," in Luke Jesus commanded his listeners to be "merciful." In Luke's Gospel, being perfect, being complete, whole and mature, means to show the same kind of mercy that our Father shows. 

It's not about the deeds of our lives adding up. It's not about how responsible and hard-working we can be. In the end, perfection is a relational quality. 

I find it interesting that the word used for "merciful" in Luke 6 is not the usual word used in the New Testament. This word for "merciful" is a word filled with emotion. It refers to a "heart of compassion," to "to be moved with compassion or pity." Not everyone even thinks about God in those terms, so it's more difficult to realize that, from Jesus' perspective, that kind of compassion-capacity is perfection. 

Our personal and spiritual maturity is tested and becomes evident in the context of our relationships with others, and even (if not especially) with our "enemies." What a challenge!
Perfection is nothing other than perfect love.


I have no illusions that I can naturally mature in this area. My hope is based on the understanding that the person and presence of the Holy Spirit resides in me, is intimately connected to my human spirit, as a result of my faith in and acceptance of the salvation only Jesus can offer. And I understand that "God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us" (Romans 5:5). Only our daily life in the Spirit can produce the perfect fruit of love. Our response is to listen, to yield to the faithful work of God's Spirit in our lives. "Come, Holy Spirit. You are welcome in my life today."

No comments:

Post a Comment