Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Healthy and Whole


When God revealed himself to human beings during Old Testament times God defined himself in terms of a “covenant name.” These names described God’s own identity in terms of his covenant relationship with his people. Each name began with the famous “I AM” (or I Will Be), followed by a name that really constituted a covenant promise. I would love to say more but I really want to focus on one of those names.

As God was leading the slave-people of Israel out of Egypt he revealed himself to them in very important ways in the process of establishing a covenant relationship with them. One of the names he used was given when the bitter, poison waters of Marah were healed. “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you” (Exodus 15:26). I AM the Lord Who Heals You. What a wonderful revelation of God and his covenant relationship with us!

My question is this: What exactly did God mean by “heal”? We’ve all seen enough promises of healing, whether natural or supernatural (if there is much of a difference between the two) to wonder about the nature of God as our Healer. The (Hebrew) word translated “heal” in Exodus 15:26 is rapha. It means “to sew together, to mend; to heal a wound; to heal a person or a land; to restore.” In general, this word means to restore something to its original condition so that it can fulfill its original purpose. So when God promised to be our healer, he was not just promising to fix what is broken; God was promising to restore us to full humanity, to make us whole.

As human persons we are born sick. The disease of sin has resulted in pain and brokenness in every part of our lives. Our minds, our emotions, our physical bodies, our relationships – everything has been twisted by the disease caused by our separation from God. And every part of our lives needs to be healed by God.

The word for “heal” is used at some very important points in the Old Testament. The psalmist gave witness concerning God, “He sent out his word and healed them” (Psalm 107:20). When rehearsing the benefits experienced in a covenant relationship with God David sang, “Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases” (Psalm 103:2-3). Through the prophet Isaiah God promised, “I have seen their ways, but I will heal them; I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners, creating praise on their lips. Peace, peace, to those far and near, says the Lord. And I will heal them” (57:18-19). When speaking of the houses of Israel the prophet Jeremiah proclaimed, “I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security” (Jeremiah 33:6). The full range of healing was also indicated by Jeremiah: “I will cure you of backsliding” (Jeremiah 3:22; see also Hosea 14:4). Similarly, David declared, “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds” (Psalm 147:3).

God’s people did not hesitate to pray for healing. David prayed, “Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint; heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony” (Psalm 6:2) and “Have mercy on me, Lord; heal me” (Psalm 41:4). He was then able to testify, “Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me” (Psalm 30:2). Jeremiah prayed, “Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise” (Jeremiah 17:14).

When speaking of God’s Messiah Isaiah foresaw, “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed” (53:5). Not only has God revealed himself to us as “the Lord who heals you,” God’s promised Anointed One, God’s Son, provided healing in the wounds he bore on his body. And that healing was sufficient to bring wholeness to every part of our lives – spirit, soul and body.

Remember the story in Exodus 15? After going without water for three days, the Israelites encountered a lake whose water was bitter, or literally poison. If they drank the water, it would not just taste bad – it would kill them. And how did they respond to this dilemma? “So the people grumbled against Moses” (15:24). The bitter water was really a metaphor for the fact that the people were bitter, and their bitterness was killing them. In response, God asked Moses to do something very strange: “The Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water and became fit to drink” (15:25). Somehow a simple piece of word thrown into the bitterness was sufficient to heal the water. In a similar way, the coming of Christ and his death on a piece of wood was sufficient to provide healing and wholeness to all humankind. It was really the hearts of the people, more than the water, that needed to be healed. That’s why God introduced his promise of healing with the words, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees” (15:26). The basis for their wholeness was a return to a right relationship with God. The promise was that the judgment that had fallen upon Egypt would not touch the Israelites. If they would return to God, listen to him and follow him, they would begin to experience healing in every part of our lives.

And the same is true for us! We believe in the healing found in Jesus, and we understand that healing will come from a life centered around a commitment to following Jesus with every part of our lives, bring wholeness to every part of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment