Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Which Jesus Do You Believe In?


Everyone is following somebody. “No man is an island.” Now that the political parties have had their conventions, some are following Mitt and some are following the President. (Others are choosing to stay as independent as possible.) Almost everyone in our corner of the world claims to be following Jesus. But what does that really mean? And who is Jesus, anyway?

Even in Jesus’s day there was great controversy about the meaning and nature of the Messiah among the Jews. Almost no one agreed on who Jesus was. Some said he was able to perform miracles because he was demon possessed (John 7:20). For some, Jesus was too human to be the Messiah (John 7:27). Others argued that Jesus couldn’t be the Messiah because he was from Galilee (John 7:41-43). Jesus himself warned that many false Messiahs would appear and attempt to deceive (Matthew 24:24). Later, the apostle Paul warned about preachers proclaiming “a different Jesus” (2 Corinthians 11:4). Some contemporary religions have a very different view of Jesus; from Jesus as “a god” among other gods to Jesus as the brother of Lucifer. Many simply view Jesus as a great teacher, spiritual guru, righteous man, or even Palestinian revolutionary.

However, Jesus was very clear when defining himself. If we truly believe in Jesus, we need to believe the claims he made about himself: “I am the Son of God” (Matthew 27:43), and “I am God’s Son” (John 10:36). Jesus had an interesting conversation with a Samaritan woman: “The woman said, ‘I know that Messiah is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.’ Then Jesus declared, I, the one speaking to you—I am he’ (John 4:25-26). To the crowd Jesus said, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world" (John 8:23). To his disciples Jesus said, “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am” (John 13:13). Jesus also claimed, “I am in the Father and the Father is in me” (John 14:11, 20).

In the Gospel of John Jesus gave very specific definitions of himself: I am the bread of life (John 6:35, 48). Jesus is the true nourishment provided by the Father, giving eternal life and true satisfaction to those who fully receive him.

I am the light of the world (John 8:12; 9:5). Jesus is the Light of the Father shining into human darkness, showing us the way back. Jesus provides clear sight and direction in every area of life.

I am the gate for the sheep (John 10:7, 9). Jesus came to provide an entrance into the Father’s household, a sure and complete way to be reconciled with the Father and made a member of the Father’s family.

I am the good shepherd (John 10:11, 14). Jesus came to lead his “sheep” into green pastures and beside still waters. Jesus gave up his life for his sheep. As a result, he invites people to listen to his voice and to follow his compassionate leadership.

I am the resurrection and the life (John 11:25). Jesus came to lead us out of death into eternal life. Those who embrace Jesus and his word are no longer subject to death but grow from life to life.

I am the way and the truth and the life (John 14:6). Jesus is the way to the Father, the truth about the Father, and the life that comes from the Father. In fact, Jesus is the only truly reliable way back to God.

I am the true vine (John 15:1, 5). True life can only be found in an intimate, abiding relationship with Jesus, his words and his love finding a permanent home in our hearts.

I am a king (John 18:37). Jesus is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. All authority in heaven and on earth belongs to Jesus.

The most extreme statement Jesus made concerning himself brought an eventual charge of blasphemy: “’Very truly I tell you,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am” (John 8:58; see also John 18:5-6). Jesus was actually saying that he was the great I AM of the Old Testament! It’s no wonder the people tried to stone him on the spot (John 8:50).

God the Father was also very clear when confirming the person of Jesus: “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17), and “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him” (Matthew 17:5).

C. S. Lewis famously said that Jesus is either a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord. Why? Because he clearly claimed to be God’s Son, to be the Lord. If he isn’t and knows he isn’t, he’s a liar. If he isn’t but thinks that he is, he’s a lunatic. Who do you think Jesus is? Do you really believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment